Friday, September 10, 2010

Cathy's Artisan Bread


I made this last night and it was SO delicious.

Ingredients

3 C warm water
1 1/2 T yeast
1 1/2 T coarse salt
6 1/2 C flour (I used half white, half freshly ground white wheat)
Cornmeal

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a mixer bowl. Add half of your flour and salt (to protect your yeast from direct contact with the salt) and mix. (I used my kitchen aid with a dough hook.) Add remaining flour. The dough will be VERY sticky.

Grease a large plastic bowl and transfer dough. Cover bowl with a lid or tight Saran wrap that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature.

Flour your hands and the counter top with a half cup of flour. Grab a grapefruit size hunk of dough from the bowl. Drop it on the counter and nonchalantly form it into a loaf. (Whatever you do, don't knead it. Because this is supposed to be a no-knead recipe. The consequences might be disastrous.) Cover the loaf with Saran wrap. Cover remaining dough and put in the fridge to be used at a later date. (Keep in the fridge for up to a week, Cath says after that the sourdough flavor is too strong.)

Preheat oven and a baking stone to 400 degrees. Allow oven to heat for a full 20 minutes while dough is doing it's final rise on a pizza slip sprinkled with cornmeal. Slip dough off pizza slip onto baking stone. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Spread slices of bread with butter and have your neighbors over for a slice . . . or two.

To make loaves from remaining dough, just double your rise time. Take your grapefruit sized hunk, let it return to room temperature and give it two rises, with the final rise on the pizza slip. Don't forget to get the oven and baking stone good and hot!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, so this is not my bread- I take no credit! It all goes to those awesome ladies who wrote "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." I definitely recommend the book! :)

    I don't put the cornmeal on the stone b/c stone is is oven and the cornmeal will burn. I also don't use a plate for the dough. Just throw it on the counter with plenty of flour (like 1/2 cup). I gently knead it once or twice and let it rise for 20 minutes. Then I put a generous amount of cornmeal on an upside down cookie sheet (I don't have one of those cool pizza slider things- what are they called?) Then reform the loaf and place it on the upside down cookie sheet. Let it rise for another 20 minutes and quickly slide it onto the hot baking stone. I hope this is making sense. One reason I loved the book is that it explained these little details and helped me so much.

    So even though your loaf was ugly (picture please) was it yummy? I hope so. I just had some of this bread for lunch with a friend and we gobbled up a whole loaf!! :) LY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cath, thanks for the corrections. I edited the post to reflect the changes. We enjoyed all four loaves that came from this batch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I DID have two slices!!! :)Michele

    ReplyDelete